Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Self Esteem...what the world?

During the shower I just had to practically pry myself away from, I started thinking about the concept of "self esteem" and how people affect it. Saying that, I wish I lived in England. Women in England are considered beautiful when they DON'T look like rails and Holocaust victims... So, uh, what the hell, America? Everyday I, along with I'm sure what are millions of other girls, think of ways to make themselves look more attractive. Well, who is to say what is attractive? Or even beautiful? Apparently, it's up to the media. Let's take a quick look (you're not really looking, but yeah..).


I'm what America calls "plus size" and you know what, forget that..! I'm not morbidly obese, and I am perfectly capable of functioning in life even if I am kinda pudgy. I struggle with my self esteem because of what I've been taught; not by my parents/grandmother, but by my peers and by the media. I swear, I get very frustrated with all of these beautiful girls stressing because they don't think they are pretty enough. Sure, I struggle with the same feeling from time to time, but then I think of how lucky I am to not have a disease where my body can't gain weight or something similar. It's discouraging and hurtful when people tell you to change the way you look for the sole reason of being "prettier", this I know from personal experience. I mean, if you have a weight issue that is affecting your health, that you should attempt to change, but if your health is fine and you just have some meat on your bones, I think you are beautiful and no one should let you believe otherwise.


This picture is originally for Anorexia, but I'm not using it for that because I'm obviously not talking about that. Today, at least. Now, let's look at the girl whose face we can see. She isn't 5'9 and 100lbs, but there is absolutely nothing, NOTHING, wrong with her. She is beautiful. If you're a girl, even a boy, and you're actually taking the time to read this and think for yourself, I'm sure you know at least ONE person that you have called "fat" who really isn't "fat". How hurtful. Sure, we all make fun of people from time to time, but doing it in the privacy of a bedroom with two or three friends (I'm not encouraging this, I'm just sayin'...) is completely different than saying something that could really hurt someone to their face or when you know for a FACT they can hear you. It isn't right, people. And hey, I'm not pointing fingers or anything like that, this is just something on my mind.


Yes, I feel ugly sometimes. Doesn't everyone? Yeah, they do. I'm sure of it. Since we all are aware of this "feeling ugly" that's floating around, what is so hard about giving someone a compliment? Just by telling a girl, or a guy, that you like their shirt, hair, something as simple as their fingernails or whatever, you can easily make someones day and boost their self esteem. I mean, if we are so eager to point out the bad and ugly, why not the good? I'm not like "challenging" anyone to go out and "spread the love" or anything like that, but think of how you feel when people compliment you, and imagine giving that feeling to someone else. It feels good.


Boys, think of your love interest. Girls, think of yours. Are they not beautiful in your eyes? I sure hope they are, or you have some problems yourself... Now think of someone telling that person that they have to change a list of things about themselves to become beautiful... It makes you angry, or at least it makes me angry! I have never felt as comfortable around someone as I do my current boyfriend, Jordan. He makes me feel as if I'm the most beautiful girl in the world, and he doesn't even say stuff like that. Hahaha. My point is, no matter your relationship with someone, we all love to feel good, so why not help the people you love/like/hate/whatever?


Self esteem is called SELF esteem, but I definitely think we all need a little boost here and there. Once again, just a thought. :)

5 comments:

  1. hi great vlog and blog :)

    i liked the self esteem post, it is so true...

    btw if you post in the coffee shop and take part in the discussions people will be more able to get to know you better :)

    sorry for my bad writing

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes sometimes I look in the mirror and I'm not pleased with what I see.

    But then I see girls who are really attractive BECAUSE they're confident, even though they aren't what media calls beautiful. They are my inspiration, because they are proof that everyone is beautiful, if only we believe in it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me, England is just as bad when it comes to skinnyness.It is also unfortunate that our size 0 is smaller than an American size 0 and I know too many people that are that size. It's something thats all over the world and too many people believe that "thin is beautiful". I'm exactly like you and think women should embrace what they have naturally, because that is a lot more beautiful than skin and bones. I recently lost 5 and a half stone in weight and I still look in the mirror and feel fat but really I look fine and everyone tells me so. It's all about perception.

    Lovely piece of writing and I'm following you.

    xx

    forevermissvanity.com

    ReplyDelete